Neymar’s father confirms Manchester United summer offer

Neymar’s father has confirmed that Barcelona received an offer from Manchester United this summer for his son, but revealed neither the Neymars nor the Catalan club had any interest in accepting the proposal.

Speaking to Fox Sports in Brasil on Friday, Neymar Sr., who guides his son’s career, explained the situation.

“Barcelona’s directors came to speak with us. They said that United had made an offer, but that they didn’t have any interest in accepting it. We also said that we didn’t want to and the matter ended there,” the elder Neymar said on Boa Tarde FOX.

Neymar Sr. did not reveal any detail of the United offer, however reports in England over the summer suggested the Red Devils were prepared to spend as much as £240 million — which included the buyout and long-term contract — on the Brazilian superstar.

Neymar is currently tied to Barcelona until June 2018, and the club has expressed confidence in further extending and increasing the Brazil captain’s deal in the near future, with the 23-year-old’s recent legal trouble halting any immediate movement on a new accord.

ESPN FC’s Alexis Nunes addresses recent reports that Brazilian club Santos are asking FIFA to suspend Neymar for six months for what they’re calling a non-compliance of contract terms offence, which occurred during the forward’s transfer to FC Barcelona.

Last season’s Champions League top scorer has been embroiled in a number of entanglements surrounding his big-money move from Santos to the Blaugrana in the summer of 2013.

On Wednesday, reports surfaced that the Sao Paulo club have asked FIFA to suspend their former star up to six months for an alleged breach of contract regarding the transfer two years ago.

Last month, a Brazilian court froze assets of Neymar, his family and related businesses valued at 188.8 million Brazilian reals ($48 million, €42 million) after alleging he evaded 63 million reals in Brazil taxes (almost $16m or €14m) between 2011 and 2013.

Neymar, who was forced to sit out Brazil’s first two World Cup qualifiers over the past week, will be back on the field for Barcelona on Saturday, when the defending La Liga champs host Rayo Vallecano at the Camp Nou

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s